The Infamous Stringdusters have announced some big plans for this coming Halloween. With a two-night run scheduled at Denver, CO’s The Fillmore Auditorium on October 28th and 29th, dubbed Big Top Halloween, the Stringdusters will play host to what is looking to be quite the extravaganza.Scheduled to play support on the 28th will be the Funky Meters and The Magic Beans, while Keller Williams’ Grateful Grass and The Lil’ Smokes will serve things up for the Stringdusters headline set on the 29th. It has been also been announced that the Stringdusters will play as Williams’ backing band for a portion of his set.Fan pre-sale tickets are currently available and can be purchased HERE, with a general onsale beginning this Friday, July 15th.
Today, Louder Than Life has announced its 2018 lineup, adding a third day to its rock-oriented lineup. The three-day festival, which takes place in Champions Park, in Louisville, Kentucky, calls itself the “World’s Largest Rock ‘N’ Roll Whiskey Festival,” gaining the reputation from its expansive “Bourbon World” that samples spirits from a number of local Kentucky distilleries. For its fifth year, Louder Than Life is scheduled to return to Champions Park from September 28th to 30th.On Friday, headliners of the festival include Avenged Sevenfold, Limp Bizkit, and Breaking Benjamin. Louder Than Life will also host performances from Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators, Seether, Skillet, and more. On Saturday, September 29th, the festival will see sets from Godsmack, Bush, Sevendust, Gwar, and others. Closing the weekend out on Sunday, September 30th, the festival will offer its most accessible lineup of the weekend, with sets from Nine Inch Nails, Deftones, Ice Cube, Primus, Billy Idol, Action Bronson, Clutch, Asking Alexandria, Yelawolf, The Sword, and more.You can snag tickets for Louder Than Life when they go on sale on June 8th via the festival’s website.
Among them, there are 15 from Guatemala and 12 from Honduras, said the Comitán Police (state of Chiapas) in a report, and added that traffickers apparently abandoned the migrants because one of the vehicles transporting the victims broke down. In total 23 people from El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, and Mexico were rescued from a house in the Mexican city of Nuevo Laredo (north), where they were held as hostages by smugglers, the Prosecution reported. The institution said that due to an anonymous call, on July 31 state agents were able to find the house where the 23 people were held, including four women, according to a prosecution official from Tamaulipas, Nuevo Laredo state, on the border with the United States. The victims stated that they were held hostage for several days in that house, waiting for their families to pay a ransom, so that they could be transported to the United States and released in North American territory. About 140,000 foreigners cross the Mexican border illegally every year, in an effort to arrive in the United States, and many of them are victims of theft, extortion, kidnapping and murder. In addition, the police said that other traffickers in two trucks in the municipality of Comitán, southeast of the country, abandoned a group of 27 Guatemalan and Honduran migrants. By Dialogo August 02, 2013 The agents arrested two of the men holding the migrants captive.
This is the biggest seizure reported so far this year, increasing the total amount of drugs confiscated in 2013 to 32.6 tons, according to official figures. After the operation, four Ecuadorean nationals were captured, including executives of the exporting company. Ecuadorean Police seized 4.4 tons of cocaine hidden in a shipment of palm hearts that were destined to Spain from the port of Guayaquil, authorities reported on August 20. By Dialogo August 22, 2013 The shipment was found on August 16, and it had been initially estimated at 3.2 tons of cocaine; however, after a new inspection, the exact amount was 4.4 tons, Minister of Interior José Serrano, escorted by police commands, told the press. Ecuador is considered a drug transit country to the United States and Europe. Last year, 42 tons of drugs were seized in the South American country, compared to 26 in 2011, and 18 in 2010. In 2009, a record 68 tons were seized.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York The case of a man who claimed Long Island Skydive fired him for being gay has been appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, which heard arguments Tuesday on the accusations. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in Manhattan had overturned a lower court’s ruling against Donald Zarda, who sued the former owners of the Calverton-based skydiving company arguing that his firing violated discrimination laws. The company’s former owners, who counter that Zarda was fired for making a customer feel uncomfortable, appealed to the highest court in the land, which agreed to hear the case that is expected to result in a landmark ruling. “There’s a lot at stake,” David Kilmnick, president and CEO of the Long Island LGBT Network, told reporters during a news conference Tuesday at his Hauppauge office.The Zarda case is one of three LGBT discrimination cases that the Supreme Court heard Tuesday and its first on the issue since conservative-leaning Justice Brett Kavanaugh replaced retired swing vote Justice Anthony Kennedy, bringing the court to the right. The ruling may decide federal anti-discrimination protections on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity — protections that some argue should be passed by Congress instead of decided by the courts. New York State has laws barring such discrimination, but more than half the other states in the nation do not.The Supreme Court is also hearing the case of a transgender woman who claims that she was fired from her job at a Michigan funeral home after telling her boss that she was transitioning — a case that she won and a Cincinnati federal appeals court affirmed. The third case involves a Georgia man who argues that he was fired from his Clayton County job for being gay, although in his case, he lost his lawsuit and a federal appeals court in Atlanta also ruled against him. Zarda died in a skydiving accident five years ago, but his sister and former partner are continuing the case on behalf of his estate. Kilmnick was flanked by local lawmakers rallying in support of Zarda’s case. Among them was New York State Sen. Kevin Thomas (D-Levittown).“This is an absolute travesty that such a case has to come before the Supreme Court,” Thomas said. “They’s not looking for any special rights. They’re looking for the same rights that everyone else has in this country.”Em Moratti, a Long Island woman who said she lost her first teaching internship after parents objected to LGBT-related internet posts of hers that they found, said the ruling in the three cases will affect the lives of those in the community.“Regardless of which direction, this will have an incredible impact on LGBT people,” she said.
This resource guide can be found on the aging department’s website called “COVID-19 Resource Guide for Older Adults”. The health department has reported 78 new deaths, bringing the statewide total to 494. For statewide updates on the coronavirus, visit pa.gov. While the number of positive cases continues to climb, the health department says that 98,498 individuals have tested negative to date. The health department says there are 1,676 positive cases to add to the statewide total. The additional cases bring the total to 21,655 positive cases. Pennsylvania residents can sign up for AlertPA, which is a notification system for health, weather, and coronavirus updates. Residents can sign up online at this link. The department of aging says this online guide will have useful information related to health, safety, and well-being. They say this resource provides older adults, their families, and caregivers with information on subjects including meals, prescriptions, protective services, scams, and how to stay active and connected. Of the positive cases, the health department has provided an age breakdown: Less than 1% aged 0-4Nearly 1% are aged 5-121% are aged 13-18Nearly 7% are aged 19-24Nearly 41% are aged 25-4929% are aged 50-6421% are aged 65 or older HARRISBURG, Pa. (WBNG) — The Pennsylvania Department of Aging announced the launch of an online coronavirus resource guide for older residents on Saturday. Additionally, the health department has noted that most of the hospitalized patients are 65 or older, and most of the deaths have occurred with patients 65 or older. Additionally, the Pennsylvania Health Department gave a statewide update on the coronavirus on Saturday. For more coronavirus coverage, click here.
There are 80 active cases of the coronavirus in Broome County. 11,000 masks will be distributed. Rotary leaders call it a “small but important part” in combating the virus. Masks distribution County officials, Senator Fred Akshar and Binghamton Rotary Club officials say masks have been secured for small businesses and non-profits in the Southern Tier. Broome County May 19 coronavirus update 30 people have died from the virus 314 have recovered. Coronavirus numbers: For a map detailing where cases are located, click here. (WBNG) — Broome County Executive Jason Garnar announced “hundreds of thousands” of personal protective equipment have been transported from the county’s Endwell emergency management center to area hospitals, nursing homes and the community. Garnar says the distribution of masks should help with the second phase of reopening. The county is still accepting donations at the 3006 Wayne St. in Endwell facility.
Categories: Editorial, OpinionFor The Daily GazetteAccess to information and public records is crucial in order for student journalists to serve the public and share information that may otherwise not be accessible for professional journalists in the field. Student journalists learn by going out and reporting in the field. We try to practice the same professional strategies the professionals use.When we use the Freedom of Information Law, we too are pulling back the dark curtain that sometimes shields information from the public.In training to produce professional journalism, students are sent to gather information by interviewing government officials and using the Freedom of Information Law to acquire public records about various subjects. When we make efforts to collect information for stories, government officials sometimes don’t offer us the same courtesies they do to professional journalists. Members of the city Common Council have asked students to contact them after a meeting through email, text, or social media rather than staying for an interview because they’re rushing to go home. These stories are treated as breaking news events to prepare us for the real world. We compete with local news organizations to scoop news and features. Sources tend to categorize student journalists as unprofessional, untrained, or unsure of what we are doing in the field. This mindset contributes to sources often stalling our efforts to get to the truth.Transparency between sources and the reporter is important for various reasons.One reason is that it builds rapport for the source to share intimate stories for which to connect with the readers. To get to these stories, student journalists interview people multiple times to gain an understanding of who the person is. We are trained to conduct interviews with a central focus and ask many questions, but most of all, listen to our subjects. Students conduct intense research prior to their interviews. However, our path to reporting stories is often thwarted before the research or interview has begun. Student journalists provide a public service to their communities when writing about neighborhood issues.When elected officials are transparent and forthright with student journalists, they’re demonstrating the behaviors that landed them in office. According to the Open Meetings Law, minutes and agendas are to be available to the public one week after the executive session.When representatives of local governments obstruct access to information or resist simple requests for public documents, they are violating the spirit of our open records laws.Students reporters impact the local media.Last month, an Alabama newspaper printed an editorial calling for the return of the KKK, and that event became national news. How? Student journalists took a photo of the editorial and away it went.We regularly use Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) requests to obtain records from government outlets ranging from the state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision to the city’s fire department reports. Document-based journalism is something we are taught from day one. It’s the toughest kind of reporting, but the results and effects of the final publication are rewarding, and it can lead to real change.When a government agency like the Corrections Department makes information available online, student journalists and the public benefit from access to that information.When reporters at Saint Rose updated a story about a hit-and-run crash involving a student who died, access to the state’s database enabled those students to update the story for their community of readers.No other local news outlets reported that fact.That’s why Freedom of Information and Open Meetings laws are so critical, as they allow not just journalists, but the public as well, to see what elected officials are doing, especially when it comes to spending taxpayer dollars.Seriah Sargenton is a senior at The College of Saint Rose in Albany studying communications with a minor in creative writing. She is the assistant editor of The Chronicle, the college newspaper. David Meister is a junior from East Greenbush studying broadcast journalism. He is the sports editor of The Chronicle and vice president of Saint Rose Television. Caroline Aurigemma is a senior studying communications at St. Rose. She is the copy editor and photography editor of The Chronicle and president of Saint Rose Radio Club. All are students in Dr. Cailin Brown’s advanced journalism class.More from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the census
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Topics : “We’re definitely canceling,” Hall of Fame spokesman Jerry Colangelo told ESPN on Wednesday. “It’s going to have to be the first quarter of next year. [The board will] meet in a couple of weeks and look at the options of how and when and where.” Bryant died January 26 at age 41 in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California that also claimed the life of his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, and seven others. Bryant was an 18-time NBA all-star, five-time NBA champion and three-time NBA finals MVP in a two-decade career with the Los Angeles Lakers. The late Kobe Bryant’s induction into America’s basketball hall of fame has been postponed to 2021, US media reported on Wednesday.Bryant, who died along with eight others in a helicopter crash in January, was schedule to be inducted into the Massachusetts-based Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame on August 29.Former NBA stars Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett and six others are also slated to be enshrined next year due to the ongoing global coronavirus pandemic.