LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP):Real Madrid’s transfer ban was cut yesterday, allowing the club to sign new players sooner than expected.The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) partially upheld Madrid’s appeal against FIFA, keeping the team barred from registering new players only in the January trading period. But Madrid can now sign new players in the off-season transfer period starting in June.FIFA had imposed a one-year transfer ban in January. Its appeal panel confirmed the sanction to take effect for 2017.Madrid must also pay FIFA a fine of 240,000 Swiss francs, reduced from 360,000 Swiss francs by the single judge who heard the case.”Considering that the infractions committed by Real Madrid were less serious and less numerous than argued by the FIFA judiciary bodies, the (judge) ruled that the sanctions imposed on Real Madrid had to be reduced,” the court said in a statement.UNJUST BANStill, the club which on Sunday added the Club World Cup trophy to its Champions League title complained about the verdict.”The decision highlights the injustice of the original ban imposed by FIFA, although the club regrets that the CAS lacked the courage to revoke the ruling entirely,” Madrid said in a statement.The court gave an urgent ruling yesterday and is expected to publish its full reasons in several weeks.Madrid denied wrongdoing in signing young players from outside Spain who played in games since 2005.The case involved the sons of current coach Zinedine Zidane.Madrid’s signings were registered by the Spanish football federation, which has repeatedly allowed clubs to break FIFA rules designed to prevent trafficking of minors. FIFA previously fined the federation 220,000 Swiss francs.Barcelona served a one-year signing embargo in 2015, and Atletico Madrid are currently appealing their one-year ban at CAS.Atletico have accepted not to sign players in January and have reached an agreement with CAS to reach a verdict by June.
take zlat Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade Euro expert explains why Liverpool should be so excited about Minamino REAL DEAL Chelsea confident of beating Man United and Liverpool to Sancho signing However, according to Sky Italia, the Russian side now value their star playmaker at £26million.CSKA believe Golovin’s strong performances at the World Cup have only added to his reputation and as such they have upped his price tag accordingly.talkSPORT will be with listeners all day and all night at this year’s 2018 FIFA World Cup™ with over 800 hours of World Cup content and all 64 games live across the talkSPORT network. LIVING THE DREAM Zlatan Ibrahimovic in ‘advanced talks’ to complete Premier League comeback Russia midfielder and Arsenal target Aleksandr Golovin. Latest Transfer news IN DEMAND The 22-year-old has been one of Russia’s star players and he has played a key role in helping them qualify for the last-16.Interest in Golovin is incredibly high with Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United all keeping tabs on him.Juventus are also tracking the midfielder too and they have already failed with an offer of around £17million.Before the World Cup, CSKA Moscow had set Golovin’s asking price at £22million and they were ready to listen to offers of that amount. ‘perfect fit” CSKA Moscow have upped the asking price of Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United target Aleksandr Golovin to £26million.The midfielder shone for the Russian club last season and has carried on his good form at the World Cup. Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father WHITE KNIGHT Real Madrid ‘offer’ Isco to Chelsea in bid to ‘make room’ for Tottenham star 1 Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland Chelsea have watched Leeds ace ‘perfect for Premier League football’ regularly Arsenal ace heading for January exit as German club ready bid for midfielder RANKED GOSSIP heading off Man United ‘miss out’ on Minamino, West Ham scout Flamengo strikers, Auba wants out three-way race