Vermont Boys & Girls Clubs will receive $150,000 in assistance from the Cal Ripken, Sr Foundation and Boys & Girls Clubs of America to help with relief efforts in the wake of devastating flooding in Vermont, Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) announced Friday. Boys & Girls Clubs in Vermont sustained heavy flood damage resulting from Hurricane Irene. The Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation has pledged $50,000, and the Boys & Girls Clubs of America has pledged $100,000, to help rebuild and repair Clubs in Brattleboro, Rutland, and White River Junction. ‘Towns across Vermont have seen devastating flooding following Hurricane Irene. But Vermonters are coming together to rebuild, repair, and restore our communities,’ said Leahy. ‘I welcome the support of the Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation, and from the Boys & Girls Clubs of America during this difficult time. Their pledge of support will help Vermont’s Clubs rebuild after this devastating storm and continue their important work making a very real difference in the lives of young Vermonters.’ ‘It is my pleasure to let you know that the Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation will provide a grant of $50,000 to Boys & Girls Clubs in your state of Vermont to help defray the costs of the flood damage they are currently dealing with in Brattleboro, Rutland, White River Junction, and others as well, I’m sure,’ Foundation President Steve Salem wrote in a letter to Leahy. The Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping underserved youth across the country by supporting youth-serving organizations like the Boys & Girls Clubs. The funds set aside by the Boys & Girls Clubs of America for Vermont Clubs will assist in facility repairs and equipment replacement. Vermont Boys & Girls Clubs have played a critical role in supporting young people and deterring crime. Vermont’s first Club was established in Burlington 68 years ago. Since then, Boys and Girls Clubs have spread across the state, and now six Clubs operate in more than 20 locations throughout Vermont. These clubs have supported nearly 14,000 children and young people in Vermont. Leahy has consistently led efforts in Washington to ensure the continued support of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, particularly in rural states like Vermont. He has worked to secure over $10 million dollars for Vermont Boys & Girls Clubs since 1997. WASHINGTON (Friday, Sept. 9, 2011) ‘
This is the biggest seizure reported so far this year, increasing the total amount of drugs confiscated in 2013 to 32.6 tons, according to official figures. After the operation, four Ecuadorean nationals were captured, including executives of the exporting company. Ecuadorean Police seized 4.4 tons of cocaine hidden in a shipment of palm hearts that were destined to Spain from the port of Guayaquil, authorities reported on August 20. By Dialogo August 22, 2013 The shipment was found on August 16, and it had been initially estimated at 3.2 tons of cocaine; however, after a new inspection, the exact amount was 4.4 tons, Minister of Interior José Serrano, escorted by police commands, told the press. Ecuador is considered a drug transit country to the United States and Europe. Last year, 42 tons of drugs were seized in the South American country, compared to 26 in 2011, and 18 in 2010. In 2009, a record 68 tons were seized.
Palm Beach County leaders are reportedly in the process of putting together a response plan in case of a coronavirus case spike, as restaurants and shops get back to business.The county is developing statistical benchmarks that could indicate a resurgence of the virus, thereby potentially leading to a return to restrictions or even another lockdown.Commissioner Melissa McKinlay is surprised the state Department of Health has not created such metrics, despite Palm Beach being the state’s third most-populated county.“It was frightening to learn that something similar does not exist — at least to the knowledge of our public health director — of any such document at the state or federal level,” she explains.Draft benchmarks being developed by county officials would flag a resurgence whenever five-day increases occur with the testing positivity rate, as well as with the COVID-19 death rate and hospital admissions. They also include more subjective measures to consider, such as the availability of testing, contact-tracing capabilities, and social-distancing compliance.The commission plans to review those measures collectively to determine whether there is an actual resurgence at any point.Palm Beach County began allowing restaurant dining rooms and retailers to reopen on May 11 with reduced capacity. Beaches in the county reopened last Monday.Dr. Alina Alonso, director of Palm Beach County’s health department, told commissioners last week that the county is still not testing enough people or ensuring that social distancing is actually occurring in restaurants and other reopened businesses.“We are supposed to be monitoring to assure social distancing is taking place,” Alonso added. “It is not. The way they are doing it now, we could have this triple in a week.”The benchmarks for reopening in Gov. DeSantis’ plan include a downward trend of flu-like and COVID-19-like illnesses; downward trajectory of documented COVID-19 cases or a downward trend of the percentage of tests that are positive; and a capability to treat patients in hospitals and a robust testing program for health care workers.LATEST OPERATIONAL UPDATES FOR PALM BEACH COUNTY. https://t.co/VXJAwn0b08#COVID19PBCUpdate #COVID19PBCSafety #PBCStrong pic.twitter.com/Yd2Yk39JvR— Palm Beach County (@pbcgov) May 23, 2020 “The state should continually review any sudden unexplained spikes in the number of COVID-19 cases, while factoring in increases in testing and monitor any increases in hospitalizations,” the governor’s plan states. “In extreme situations, the governor may deploy a geographically targeted response in consultation with public health officials.”Palm Beach County Commissioner Hal Valeche, who was among those who pushed to reopen the county, wants to see more detailed metrics. To that end, he has contacted the governor’s chief of staff asking for more guidance to be developed.“Subjective decisions about this aren’t appropriate,” says Valeche. “You need to have an objective measure. We have made too much progress to let this get out of control.”Officials in Miami-Dade and Broward counties say they currently do not have benchmarks to trigger another lockdown, although they continue to track statistics on new cases, testing, hospitalizations and deaths.Palm Beach County Mayor Dave Kerner believes metrics are useful, but does not want to create mandatory triggers that would put the county back into a lockdown.“I am not comfortable with that,” he explains. “We can have the machine run the county then. Ultimately, it is the policymakers that have to authorize it.”Dr. Alonso warns, “I want to make sure if we are not going in the right direction we can put a brake on it before it is too late.”
World Sailing Grade 5 eventRoyal Varuna Yacht Club, July 11 – 12 – Twenty seven sailors in nine teams took part in last weekend’s Match Racing event at the Royal Varuna Yacht Club.Jade Gavin, Aim Panot and Christopher March won every race to take 1st place overall.Congratulations to Jade Gavin, Aim Panot and Christopher March (all under 13 years old) who won every race to take 1st place overall and overcoming many adult members along the way.Match race Thailand RS Vision Challenge is a World Sailing Grade 5 raking event that Royal Varuna Yacht Club has been an organizer of twice a year. The events look to discover match-racing champions here in Thailand, giving them a great opportunity to pursue higher levels in world class match racing events.
From left are Tom Glavine in 2008, Greg Maddux in 2008, and Frank Thomas in 1994 file photos. Glavine, Maddux and Thomas were selected to the Baseball Hall of Fame, Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2014. (AP Photo/File)NEW YORK (AP) — Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Frank Thomas were elected to baseball’s Hall of Fame on Wednesday, while Craig Biggio fell two votes short.Maddux was picked on 555 of 571 ballots by members of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America. His 97.2 percentage was the eighth-highest in the history of voting.Glavine, Maddux’s longtime teammate in the Atlanta rotation, appeared on 525 ballots and received 91.9 percent. Thomas, the first Hall of Famer who spent the majority of his career as a designated hitter, was at 483.The trio will be inducted in Cooperstown on July 27 along with managers Bobby Cox, Joe Torre and Tony La Russa, elected last month by the expansion-era committee. Maddux and Glavine played under Cox for most of their careers.Writers had not elected three players in one vote since Nolan Ryan, George Brett and Robin Yount in 1999.Biggio received 427 votes and 74.8 percent, matching Nellie Fox in 1985 and Pie Traynor in 1947 for the smallest margin to just miss. Biggio appeared on 388 ballots in his initial appearance last year and appears to be on track to gain election next year.Mike Piazza was next was 62.2 percent followed by Jack Morris, who was 78 votes short at 61.5 percent in his 15th and final appearance on the writers’ ballot.Controversy over how to evaluate stars tainted by the Steroids Era continued to impact the vote totals of players with stellar statistics. In their second appearances on the ballot, Roger Clemens dropped from 37.6 percent to 35.4, Barry Bonds from 36.2 to 34.7 and Sammy Sosa from 12.5 to 7.2.Appearing for the eighth time, Mark McGwire fell from 16.9 to 11.0. Rafael Palmeiro will be dropped from future ballots after falling to 25 votes and 4.4 percent — below the 5 percent threshold necessary to remain eligible for next year’s vote.Eighth on the wins list with a 355-227 record and a 3.16 ERA over 23 seasons, Maddux won four consecutive Cy Young Awards from 1992-95 and a record 18 Gold Gloves with the Chicago Cubs, Atlanta, the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Diego. An eight-time All-Star, he won at least 13 games in 20 straight seasons.Among pitchers with 3,000 innings whose careers began in 1921 or later — after the Dead Ball Era — Maddux’s 1.80 walks per nine innings is second only to Robin Roberts’ 1.73, according to STATS.Glavine, a 10-time All-Star and a two-time Cy Young winner, was 305-203 over 22 seasons.A two-time AL MVP, Thomas hit .301 with 521 homers and 1,704 RBIs in 19 seasons with the White Sox, Toronto and Oakland.Writers who have been members of the BBWAA for 10 consecutive years at any point were eligible to consider the 36-player ballot.Next year’s vote could be even more crowded when Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz, Carlos Delgado and Gary Sheffield become eligible, five years after their retirements. The BBWAA last month formed a committee to study whether the organization should ask the Hall to change the limit of 10 players per ballot.
Last week we learned that a fan named Michael Vincent Bramley (M.V.B.) pitched a PG-13 concept to Ryan Reynolds about Deadpool 2 on Twitter a year ago. The pitch is exactly the route they are taking with the film. For a little refresher, here’s the pitch:@VancityReynolds If Marvel forces you to make a PG-13 Deadpool, just copy the framing device from The Princess Bride and have Deadpool censoring it for Fred Savage as a bedtime story. A kidnapped adult Fred Savage. There, I fixed it.— M.V.B. (@MVBramley) December 7, 2017Reynolds has since reached out to Bramley in private, and it looks like he’s willing to believe that the whole thing was just an insane coincidence. According to a recent tweet from Bramley, Reynolds was “just as confused” as he was about the whole [email protected] and I had a brief talk and I believe he was as confused as I was. It seems like this may all just have been a big, insane coincidence and I’m happy to leave it at that. I’m looking forward to seeing the movie in December! #deadpool #onceuponadeadpool— M.V.B. (@MVBramley) November 22, 2018I’ve gotta say, I love this guy’s attitude toward the whole thing. He’s being very cool and level-headed about it, which is a rare thing these days. A lot of people, especially on Twitter, are looking for an excuse to lash out and be a bunch of assholes, but Bramley’s got class.However, if you read the replies to the tweet above, a lot of people believe there is more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye. A lot of people think this is just too big to be chalked up to a coincidence.I just hope that Reynolds at least offered him tickets to the premiere, and he’s just not publicizing it, which seems like the proper thing to do in this situation.What do you think? Could this really be just a crazy coincidence?By Joey Paur | Geek Tyrant Facebook Twitter Login/Register With: LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement