News blackout after army ousts president

News 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies December 28, 2020 Find out more May 13, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders is very worried about the impact of yesterday’s military coup d’état on press freedom. President Manuel Zelaya’s ouster was followed by a curfew during which the broadcasts of several radio and TV stations were suspended.“We condemn a coup against a democratically-elected president on principle, especially as it raises concern about respect for basic freedoms including press freedom,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The suspension or closure of local and international broadcast media indicates that the coup leaders want to hide what is happening. The Organisation of American States and the international community must insist that this news blackout is lifted.”As soon as the curfew had been decreed, the National Telecommunications Commission (CONATEL) notified cable TV operators of a ban on broadcasting certain international TV stations such as Telesur, Cubavisión Internacional and CNN Español. The broadcasts of Radio Globo and several other stations were also either interrupted or shut down.In the provinces, around 25 soldiers stormed into the studios of Radio Progreso, a station affiliated to the Latin American Association of Radio Education, four hours after the coup and forced the staff to stop all work. In a statement, station manager Ismael Moreno said the intervention of local residents prevented more serious violence. Still in the military’s sights, Radio Progreso has not yet resumed broadcasting.The military coup and Roberto Micheletti’s subsequent installation by congress as the new president prompted demonstrations in support of the ousted president. Members of the Association of Taxis of Honduras who were staging a demonstration in Tegucigalpa attacked a photographer with the daily El Heraldo, throwing stones at him and then beating and kicking him as he lay on the ground.Reporters Without Borders added: “Honduran journalists already suffer from the high level of violent crime in normal times. We also appeal to the media to act responsibly at this difficult moment. They should refrain from fuelling a polarisation in public opinion that could expose journalists to more reprisals.”(Photo : AFP) Follow the news on Honduras HondurasAmericas RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America to go further Receive email alerts Reportscenter_img Organisation June 29, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 News blackout after army ousts president April 27, 2021 Find out more News RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” RSF_en HondurasAmericas News Help by sharing this information read more

BBB tip: How to avoid employment scams when searching for summer jobs

first_img Facebook BBB tip: How to avoid employment scams when searching for summer jobs WhatsApp TAGSBBBemployment scams Facebook Pinterest WhatsApp By Heather Massey – May 23, 2021 center_img Pinterest Heather Massey is the Regional Director of the Better Business Bureau in the Permian Basin. Check out www.bbb.org or call 563-1880. The beginning of summer brings an influx of job-seeking students looking to capitalize on their free time by earning money over their three-month break. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, most of these students find employment in the accommodations and food service industry. However, due to the complications associated with COVID-19, employment opportunities in this industry fell by more than 2.2 million between 2019-2020. While the food service industry projects growth, it is still measurably less than pre-COVD-19 levels, causing would-be employees to look elsewhere for summertime employment.In 2018-19, employment scams were the No. 1 riskiest scam in North America, replaced by online purchase scams in 2020, according to BBB’s 2020 Scam Tracker Risk Report. The report also identified that students and individuals ages 25-34 were the most susceptible and likely to be victimized by employment scams. Surprisingly, 65 percent of reported employment scams related to becoming a “warehouse redistribution coordinator” or some similar title involving the reshipment of packages, some of which involve stolen goods. In many cases, scammers impersonated well-known retailers, like Amazon and Walmart, to appear legitimate.With the amount and significant variation of employment scams, BBB conducted a study focused specifically on these scams in 2020. In an article released when the study was published, Melisa Trumpower, executive director of the BBB Institute for Marketplace Trust, said employment scams have changed both their historical targets and how victims are exposed.“This research was timely as we found that more than half of scam targets were seeking work-from-home opportunities,” said Trumpower. “As more people search for flexible employment opportunities following the coronavirus outbreak, they need to know that scammers are out there in force and targeting those most in need. Employment scams don’t just affect those who lose money. For every victim who lost money, at least one other worked without pay, and yet another lost personal information that could lead to identity theft.”To avoid employment scams targeting students looking for summertime employment, follow these tips provided by your Better Business Bureau:Some positions are more likely to be scams. Be wary of package reshipment and secret shopper positions, as well as any jobs with generic titles such as caregiver, administrative assistant or customer service representative. Positions which do not require special training or knowledge appeal to a wide range of applicants, which scammers use to cast a wider net for potential victims. If the job posting is for a well-known company, check the company’s job posting page to see if the position is legitimate. If the posting can be found in multiple cities with the exact same wording, it may be a scam. Jobs which advertise themselves as “high pay and flexible schedules” are extremely appealing to students searching for summer jobs, a fact that scammers use to their advantage. Be cautious of postings that use this type of language.Beware aggressive employment offers. Any pressure to sign or onboard immediately is a sign that the company may not be legitimate. Choosing a place to work is an important decision that most legitimate companies understand requires time to consider. Be especially wary if the position is offered without an interview or promises a large income under the condition the employee pays for coaching, training or certifications.Do not deposit unexpected or suspicious checks. Be cautious with whom and how you share your personal information, such as banking information. Do not fall for an overpayment scam. Legitimate companies will not overpay an employee and ask for compensation by requiring money to be wired elsewhere.Get contracts in writing. Employee requirements, qualifications and job duties should be in writing. If using a recruiting service, the service should provide a complete contract for the cost of their services, what the service includes, who pays for the service (either the jobseeker or employer) and what happens if the recruiter fails to find a position.For more information about employment scams and to access BBB’s 2020 Employment Scams Report for free, visit BBB.org/EmploymentScams.If you’ve been a victim of an employment scam, report it on BBB.org/ScamTracker. Information provided may prevent another person from becoming a victim. BusinessBBB Column Twitter Twitter Previous articlePET OF THE WEEK: SpikeNext articlePET OF THE WEEK: Gracie Heather Masseylast_img read more

Improved Dzeko impresses Pellegrini

first_img Nine of that tally came in City’s last 12 games and proved vital to their Barclays Premier League title success but Pellegrini is just as impressed by his developing all-round game. The Chilean said: “Edin has convinced himself that he can’t wait as a striker just to score one goal. “He has to play for 95 minutes every game, not always scoring but working for the team and making the movements. “I think he is one of the players who has improved most in his attitude in the game.” Dzeko, a £27million signing from Wolfsburg in 2011, underlined his value with a superb backheeled assist for David Silva’s opener in last weekend’s 2-0 win at Newcastle. News of Dzeko’s new deal came after Vincent Kompany, David Silva, Sergio Aguero, Samir Nasri and Aleksandar Kolarov agreed fresh contracts earlier in the summer. Pellegrini said: “I was very pleased because I think that Edin is a very important player for our squad. He is playing very well and so he deserved to renew his contract with the club.” Another striker hoping to catch the eye this term is Stevan Jovetic, whose first season after a £22million move from Fiorentina was marred by injury and illness. Press Association Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini has hailed the improvement in striker Edin Dzeko during his time in charge. The 24-year-old Montenegro international is now fully fit and, after shining in pre-season, started the season-opener at St James’ Park. With last season’s top scorer Aguero still not match-fit and Alvaro Negredo out injured, Jovetic is likely to continue for Monday’s visit of Liverpool. Pellegrini said: “I think Stevan is playing very well. He is in a very good moment with us and I hope he will continue in the same way because he is a very important and very good player for us. “He is a very good finisher and we will see the real Stevan Jovetic this season.” Bosnia international Dzeko has enjoyed a new lease of life since Pellegrini arrived at the Etihad Stadium and was this week rewarded with a new four-year contract. Dzeko appeared to fall out of favour under previous manager Roberto Mancini but last season repaid Pellegrini’s faith by scoring 26 goals. last_img read more