Support for “national dialogue” on nuclear energy

first_img Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 November 5, 2013 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Support for “national dialogue” on nuclear energy IranMiddle East – North Africa News News News Reporters Without Borders supports the appeal launched by Nobel peace laureate Shirin Ebadi’s Center for Supporters of Human Rights for a “national dialogue on nuclear energy” in Iran. The appeal has been signed by around 100 well-known Iranian intellectuals, journalists and human rights defenders.“The issue of nuclear energy in Iran has always been left to the government of the day, both before and after the revolution, and for this reason is regarded as a political matter,” the appeal says. “But it is not just a political issue. It also concerns the economy, society and the environment and therefore affects all Iranian citizens. The appeal adds: “Iranians do not have enough information about the advantages and disadvantages of nuclear energy for their country, although it is a subject of national concern that directly influences people’s daily lives. It is why we are subjected to unprecedented sanctions and why our country has been threatened with war.”Reporters Without Borders said: “Ever since the revelations about Iran’s nuclear activities at the start of the past decade, any coverage of this issue has been banned by the many government bodies responsible for monitoring and regulating the media. “Journalists are constantly censored, not only by the Ministry of Culture and Islamic Orientation and its censorship wing, the Press Authorization and Surveillance Commission, but also by the ministry of intelligence, the Revolutionary Guards, the public prosecutor and the High Council for National Security.“They are forbidden to cover all nuclear matters such as the signing of an International Atomic Energy Agency protocol, the negotiations about Iran’s nuclear programme with the “5+1” group (China, France, Germany, Russia, United Kingdom and United States), representing the international community, and even nuclear energy’s environmental impact and the cost of building nuclear power plants.”On 10 October 2003, Reporters Without Borders issued a press release condemning the National Security Council’s suspension of the newspaper Entekhab (The Choice) following an article about regime in-fighting over the signing of an IAEA protocol and the prior censorship subsequently imposed by the council on this issue. Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists June 9, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information News RSF_en March 18, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts After Hengameh Shahidi’s pardon, RSF asks Supreme Leader to free all imprisoned journalists Organisation Follow the news on Iran The Entekhab article highlighted the fact that both parliament and a presidential body supposedly in charge of signing the protocol had been sidelined and that all decision-making had been assumed by an ad hoc committee organized by the Supreme Leader. Entekhab editor Mohamad Mehdi Faghihi and political editor Mohsen Mandegari were summoned by a Tehran revolutionary court and were held overnight.The Baztab website was banned on 12 February 2007 after criticizing President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in reports about the nuclear industry and corruption. The Ahmadinejad administration billed nuclear power as “the country’s biggest challenge” and tried to use it to divert attention from Iran’s major economic and social problems.“Many journalists in different cities have been threatened or arrested on spying charges over the years for referring to nuclear energy issues,” Reporters Without Borders added. “This censorship of nuclear coverage violates journalists’ freedom to inform and Iranians’ right to be informed.“Journalists have a fundamental role to play as regards informing the public on such sensitive matters, but the Iranian authorities try to suppress all independent coverage of nuclear issues so that only the official version is available.” to go further IranMiddle East – North Africa February 25, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Marjorie Rose Milbourne

first_imgMarjorie Rose Milbourne, of Brookville, was born on August 24, 1923, in Brookville, the daughter of William F. and Louise Siefert Kuntz.  She married Paul E. “Pappy” Milbourne on August 3, 1946 and he preceded her in death on September 3, 1980.  Marjorie worked as a legal secretary for Bohland and Barrett, retiring after 45 years of service; she then served as Town Clerk.  Marjorie was a member of St. Michael Catholic Church, the American Legion Auxiliary, and the Red Hatters.  She enjoyed watching sports and loved to play golf and bowl.  On Sunday, January 1, 2017, at the age of 93, Marjorie passed away at Brookville Healthcare Center. Those surviving who will cherish Marjorie’s memory include her children, Sherry Murrell of Brookville, and Steve (Lynda) Milbourne of College Corner, IN; 9 grandchildren, 12 great-grandchildren; sister, Patricia Johnson of Brookville, and sister-in-law, Janice Kuntz of Brookville.  Besides her parents and husband, she was preceded in death by siblings, Bill Kuntz, Ruth Kirschbaum, and Claire Ariens. Memorial donations may be directed to St. Michael School, Franklin Co. EMS or to the Brookville Volunteer Fire Department.  To sign the online guestbook or to leave a personal condolence, please visit www.cookrosenberger.com.  The staff of Cook Rosenberger Funeral Home is honored to care for the family of Marjorie Milbourne.center_img Friends may visit with the family from 4 to 7 p.m. on Friday, January 6, 2017 at Cook Rosenberger Funeral Home, 929 Main Street, Brookville.  Holy Rosary will be recited at 3:15 p.m.  A Mass of Christian burial, officiated by Father John Kamwendo, will be held on Saturday at St. Michael Catholic Church at 11 a.m.  Burial will follow in the church cemetery.last_img read more

Sir Everton Weekes, the last of the three Ws, dies aged 95

first_img(CRICINFO)-Sir Everton Weekes, the last member of the legendary Three Ws, has died at the age of 95.Alongside Sir Clyde Walcott and Sir Frank Worrell, Weekes formed a formidable batting unit in the West Indies team. All three were born within a couple of miles of one another – rumour has it they were delivered by the same midwife – within 18 months in Barbados between August 1924 and January 1926, and all made their Test debuts within three weeks in early 1948.While all went on to enjoy outstanding careers – Worrell became West Indies’ first black captain and was later a senator in Jamaica, while Walcott averaged 56.68 in Test cricket and later became the first non-white chair of the ICC – Weekes was, arguably, the best batsman of the three.At one stage, between March and December 1948, he registered five successive Test centuries and insisted that, but for an umpiring error when he was adjudged run-out for 90, it would have been six. He passed 1,000 Test runs in 12 innings – one fewer than Sir Don Bradman; nobody has reached the milestone quicker than Weekes – and finished with an outstanding Test average of 58.61. Only nine men who have batted a minimum of 20 times in Test cricket have a higher average. Richie Benaud later stated that players who had seen both bat at close quarters suggested Weekes was closest in style and class to Bradman.Weekes was born into extreme poverty. His family lived in a wooden shack and his father was obliged to spend more than a decade in Trinidad sending the family back money. Everton left school at 14 and was barred from playing for his local club, Pickwick, as they only permitted white players at that time.Yet such was his sporting ability and so dedicated was he to his craft, that people soon started to notice the stocky lad with the quick feet. Named in honour of Everton FC, Weekes was a good enough footballer to represent Barbados at the sport.But cricket was his real love. He volunteered to help both as substitute fielder and as a member of the groundstaff at the Kensington Oval and was, as a consequence, able to see some of the best players in the world at close quarters. He also joined the Barbados Defence Force and, as a result, was eligible to play a high standard of club cricket.He made his first-class debut as a 19-year-old and his Test debut aged 22. Hist first Test century didn’t come until his fourth game but it was the start of an incredible run which saw him register six centuries – including five in succession – and five half-centuries in his next 13 innings. Only once was he dismissed for fewer than 48.He was named as one of Wisden’s Cricketers of the Year in 1951 after helping defeat England in the previous summer’s Test series and for a tour on which he made seven centuries, five of them double-centuries and one of them a triple. In 1952-53 he averaged 102.28 in the series against India and was equally dominant in New Zealand in 1955-56 in a Test series in which he made three successive centuries and averaged 83.60.A persistent thigh injury forced him to retire relatively prematurely – he was 33 and had played 48 Tests – but he enjoyed successful secondary careers first as a coach (he was, among other things, coach of the Canada side which played in the 1979 World Cup) and, from 1994, as an ICC match referee. He also represented Barbados in Bridge and became a Justice of the Peace. His son, David Murray, played for West Indies and is remembered as an outstanding wicketkeeper.Despite his status as a legend of the game, Sir Everton remained a humble and approachable figure. His home number remained in the Barbados phone book and he could be seen almost every day, well into his 90s, swimming at Miami Beach, near Oistins. In 1995 he became the last of the three Ws to receive a knighthood.Although there is no confirmation of the family’s wishes at this stage, his final resting place could well reunite him with Worrell and Walcott – both of whom are buried at The Three Ws Oval on the outskirts of Bridgetown in Barbados. A plot amid the bougainvillea has been left vacant for Weekes should he wish to join them.“Our hearts are heavy as we mourn the loss of an icon,” said Cricket West Indies in a tribute. “A legend, our hero. Our condolences go out to his family, friends and many fans around the world.”“I’d like to add my public recognition of Sir Everton’s amazing legacy,” said Ricky Skerritt, the president of CWI. “He was both a great cricketer and a cricket human being. He was the last of the famous Three Ws to pass to the great beyond. He was the most amazing man. And one of the most humble and decent and wonderful people you would ever have met.”England Cricket, who take on West Indies in next week’s first Test at the Ageas Bowl, added its own tribute in a Twitter post: “A true great of the game. Our thoughts and condolences go out to Sir Everton Weekes’ family and friends.”West Indies’ head coach, Phil Simmons, added: “West Indies has not only lost one of its greatest cricketers, we have lost a true gentleman. My condolences and prayers go out to his family and friends. RIPSirEverton.”last_img read more